In this post we follow Digitalization – How does it change what you do? by looking at the benefits it brings…and also what it won’t do.
What are the benefits?
Ultimately good digitalization changes behaviour for the better; how your teams work together, how they spend their time, how they respond to challenges.
(It’s frequently done badly, or is simply a digitization project hanging onto the buzzword.)
As per complex systems theory, system structure drives behaviour;
- Wherever there’s an MS Excel register supported by an ad hoc, unrepeatable process, there can be structure that guides and ensures good management.
- Every report compiled and distributed by hand drives a process to analyse and act on the results
There is an intrinsic value digitalizing a process as the analysis phase will often address issues with the current process but it’s post-digitalization that the real value is realised.
One of the key reasons to digitalize is that the process is easily modified, so you can quickly iterate to ensure edge-cases are appropriately addressed.
Automation also saves a lot of time, eliminating hours spent manually consolidating data, creating and error-checking reports, or chasing execution of a process or task.
Users can redirect their time to more valuable activities such as analysis, lessons learned and annotation.
Digitalization also helps users shift upstream of a problem; analytics can provide early warning so that potentially costly or problematic issues can be mitigated in a timely fashion. Simple statistical analysis is often all that’s required when the processes and data are digitalized.
Implemented well, digitalization encourages innovation as the digital domain is fluid and dynamic. Structures can evolve to reflect current challenges, integrating users from different business units so that organisations can react to emerging issues, or focus on a specific mission. Similarly processes can be created, experimented with and shut down with relative ease and low cost.
How does Sabisu help you digitalize your organisation?
Sabisu structures solutions around six key functions; a ‘digital pipeline’ which allow the benefits of digital data to be quickly realised.
- Aggregation; bringing large volumes of enterprise, project and process data together in a single location at scale
- Analytics; data at scale allows analytics to work their magic, providing early warning and insight using deep learning/AI and statistical analysis
- Visualisation & virtualisation; representing analytics and aggregated data with dynamic visualisations so users can take the appropriate action
- Communication & distribution; making sure the right data gets to the right people through flexible, mission-oriented groups which pivot around the data
- Workflow; the engine where work gets done, digitalizing your processes in a single platform which ensures workflows and actions are executed
- Change; integrated knowledge capture, plus alerts and advisories to guide users towards the best possible outcome
Sabisu combines these capabilities into a digital workspace.
Sabisu is a self-service platform, meaning you (the customer, the users) own your solution.
This means each team can rapidly change the platform to meet evolving challenges.
What Digitalization won’t do
Digital technologies do not of themselves transform anything. Pretty much everything is digital already. Replacing a paper process or MS Excel register with an identical process is a step forward, but a small one.
Digitalization doesn’t necessarily mean disintermediating IT by choosing SaaS, cloud-only service providers. Your strategy should be appropriate for your objectives.
Digitalization in of itself will not solve your problems instantly; if your maintenance strategy is wrong you’ll still overspend on maintenance, and if your P50 plan is unrealistic then you won’t meet your targets.
Neither will Digitalization magically open new revenue streams, initiate ground-breaking innovations or transform efficiency. You need good people to recognise opportunities appropriate to your strategy, with digital technologies providing the flexibility and assistance to realise those opportunities.
Digitalization will change behaviour; how your teams work together, how they spend their time, how they respond to challenges.
…is to drive this positive behavioural change through structured solutions which reflect each teams’ specific mission requirements.
We’re always interested in hearing from you with any comments or suggestions, feel free to get in touch.