Until now it’s been difficult to access proprietary format or legacy data sources; new connectivity capabilities can present a consumer standard integrated user experience.
Here at Sabisu we do a lot of this; Sabisu is seen by customers as a way of getting everything together into one place. Particularly we work with manufacturing or process data, as often seen in the oil & gas, or petrochemicals industry.
Sabisu is all about doing great things with enterprise grade big data, in real-time. This means seamless connectivity to the systems that power your business is essential. Batch operations are out. In fact, all the following is out:
- Create cubes or universes? Too slow.
- Migrate your data somewhere else on a batch basis? Too slow.
- Prepare results ready for harvesting? Too slow. Too out of date.
Our typical target data sources are:
- Data historians
- Document management
- Database platforms (e.g., Oracle for LIMS, SQL)
This connectivity allows Sabisu to be a single point of reference for all and eliminates the system complexity, as talked about previously.
The Sabisu approach is hard. Everything is done in memory. We even had to build our own historian, Shika, to persist data because existing solutions weren’t fast enough.
But there are some real benefits about our approach.
- You can delay upgrading legacy systems
As we’re not affecting the existing or legacy systems, their integrity remains unaffected. You will find that the upgrades or replacements for legacy systems can be delayed because the old application isn’t so important; Sabisu is your new, shiny front end and will ensure data integrity is preserved.
Significant savings can be made as a result.
- You can leverage existing and legacy architecture
Of course, everyone has existing MIS and BI provisions – even if it’s just MS Excel.
(In which case Sabisu Publisher is your killer app).
Sabisu will exploit your existing investments through intelligent integration. It doesn’t need significant additional IT architecture and doesn’t require significant additional maintenance.
- Real-time connectivity As described above we’re in a different class of application from traditional, batch BI systems: Sabisu is an Operational Intelligence solution. It requires real-time connectivity; it must aggregate and prioritise information on-demand immediately from enterprise systems. Anything else is just a BI system.
- Sabisu is your open standards friend
Many older systems are not particularly friendly towards open standards, so they’re hard to live with for your IT team. End-users will know these applications well; they’re the ones that react to change really slowly.
Any platform should use open standards throughout, providing easy API access in order to extend platform functionality or to leverage it to access other platforms and data sources. This then allows integration of almost any data source, including office applications such as email and calendar or web-based sources, allowing links to be developed between these data sources so as to provide a truly holistic view and integrated experience.
So, that’s why Sabisu is designed as it is.
We hope that’s useful. As always if you have any questions or suggestions, head over to our LinkedIn group and share your thoughts.